Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hard Things and Good Things Too

Years ago my mom subscribed to Oprah magazine (an ongoing gift subscription from my Aunt I think). Oprah had this column called "What I know for sure"...I think about that phrase sometimes...what I know for sure. There's lots of things I'm not so sure about, but you know one thing I am sure about...

Everyone has hard things.

Everyone.

I have never met anyone who had absolutely no trials or hard things happening in their life. If you think someone has it perfect you just don't know them well enough. Because, seriously, everyone has hard things. Think about it:


Some people wish they were more financially stable.
Other people just had their house destroyed by a tsunami/earthquake/fire/_(fill in the blank)_.

Some people hate their job.
Other people love their job but it doesn't make enough money.
And still others just want A job, any job.

Some people have serious marital problems.
Other people want badly to be married but haven't met the right person.
A lot of people are lonely.

Some people have complicated/difficult relationships with family members.
Other people have lost family members they loved dearly and they miss them. Every. Day.
Some people have problems with their children (physical, mental, spiritual, etc..)
Other people want children badly and can't have any.
And others have lost children.
And still others give birth to children in circumstances (poverty) that make me cry if I think too much about it.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

And why am I sharing this anyway?

Well, sometimes when things seem...bleak, frustrating, overwhelming, or depressing I try to remember this--that everyone has hard things.. I try playing a mental game of "would you rather" and think about trading lives with anyone I know really well -- well enough to really know the trials in their life. And when I do that I realize there is no perfect life, it's a trade off wherever you go. And then I start to realize not only to we all have hard things, but we all have good things too. Sometimes in our lives we have to dig a little deeper to find the good things, that's for sure. But there always are at least a few good things--and usually more than we realize.

Here are some things that make my life really good right now:

  • A thoughtful husband who takes care of the taxes because they stress me out, brings me home handfuls of Cadbury eggs from the work candy dish--just because!, and plays with the baby so I can sleep.
  • Date nights. Real ones. Where someone watches the baby so we can have time alone.
  • Baby giggles. Baby smiles. And the excitement of watching a human being discovering everything for the first time.
  • Nap time. 
  • My house. It's warm, it's cozy, and it's just perfect for us right now.
  • Feta cheese. Good quality chocolate. And fresh fruit coming into season.
  • Sunny days
  • Jogs on the parkway
  • Good movies
  • Great books
  • My DVR
  • A flexible good paying job.
  • Warm showers
  • More sleep than I got 6 months ago
  • Technology that lets me keep in touch with friends/family so I feel less isolated at home even if I haven't left the house in three days.
  • Church -- where my job right now is to teach the women once a month. It's challenging and fulfilling and just overall wonderful. It is just what I need.
So I guess there's a second thing I know for sure

I have a blessed life.

I promise you I have hard things. Sometimes I feel like it's more than my fair share. But if I make a list of all the good things in my life...those other things, the hard things...don't feel so hard. It can be difficult to maintain an "attitude of gratitude", at least for me. But when I do, I feel so much better about life.

And I think we could all stand to feel better about life, right?


Anyway, sorry for such a serious post. But it was a rough week and this is what's on my mind. Reading my blog you may think it's all babies, recipes, putting my house together, and trying to finish that quiet book...but it's not. :)

Anyway I'd love if you'd share what's good in your life. Reading happy things makes me happy so share away.

4 little remarks:

*Aliese* said...

I love this. Seriously. I have similar thoughts frequently.

Brooke said...

True that! My happy thing is that I get to see, hang out and talk with great friends and family right now because we live so close to them, it's fabulous!

Lee and Marie said...

I really enjoyed this post Anna! I have been thinking a lot about this as well. Especially as Easter approaches. Thanks for sharing :) I am so blessed.

Angie said...

Fabulous post! I've totally played would you rather like that before.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin