Sunday, May 29, 2011

For Sunday: I believe in the family

Tonight I was thinking about one of my favorite quotes and thought I'd share. The former prophet of my church, President Gordon B. Hinckley, had this to say about families:


"I believe in the family where there is a husband who regards his companion as his greatest 
asset and treats her accordingly; 


where there is a wife who looks upon her husband as her anchor and strength, 


her comfort and security; 


where there are children who look to mother and father with respect and gratitude; 


where there are parents who look upon those children as blessings and find a great and serious and wonderful challenge in their nurture and rearing. 


The cultivation of such a home requires effort and energy, forgiveness and patience, love and endurance and sacrifice; 


but it is worth all of these and more"


All my life I've thought about the kind of family I want to build -- and certainly over the course of the past year. When I was attending BYU I took a religion class called "LDS Marriage and Family"--I loved that class and often wish I could take it again now that I'm married with a child. The thing that stuck with me most about that class was that good families--great families--don't just happen. They are deliberately cultivated. Or as President Hinckley says "cultivation of such a home requires effort and energy, forgiveness and patience, love and endurance and sacrifice" and as he says, "it is worth all of these and more"


I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ways great families cultivate such a home -- the routines and traditions that make it happen. Because I've got a little baby who's growing up fast and I feel like there's a lot of ways Joe and I could improve to make our family even greater than it already is.

0 little remarks:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin