Saturday, June 4, 2011

Prepping for the Party

I'm not one to throw parties. I love all the pretty images I see on the web of these events people throw and I enjoy having a couple friends over, but the idea of throwing a party gives me anxiety. Maybe it's that we're in a 2 bedroom apartment and not a large house and so the logistics of managing large groups of people is too much. I have no idea.

Do you feel this way? Party throwing anxiety? Or does it just make you giddy to put something like this together?

Anyway, Joe comes from a family of 6 kids, I have 2 siblings, and since my parents are divorced Evs is blessed with lots of grandparents to spoil her. So even when we want to throw a party with just immediate family it's a large affair. We won't throw Evs a big bash like this every year, but the first birthday seems to warrant it.

So plan I must. Good planning helps reduce my birthday party hosting anxiety. "I can DO this!"

I just printed this subway art image (how I love free printables on the interwebs!) and plan on having everyone sign it at the party. Then I'll stow it in her baby book.


If you follow the link to the creators website you'll find that she has the 8X10 to print big and also the same image preshrunk for you to card size. I printed both -- because I'm always in a pinch needing a birthday card and not wanting to spend $3 all the grocery store for one (yes I'm cheap and don't want to spend $3 on your birthday!). I used to whip cards up by hand...but now with a baby I'm running around packing diapers & bibs before we leave the house and NOT whipping up cards. It'll be nice to have a few handy.

Anyway, party prep for next weekend is underway. I'll snap lots of photos, you can be sure!

If you had a child what did you do for their first birthday? How bout birthdays after that? Lots of big parties? Small family dinners? Trips to Chuckie Cheese? I'm all ears on how to handle kids parties...I'm thinking less is more.

5 little remarks:

Brooke said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE throwing parties. But I also am fine with everything not working out perfectly. As long as people show up, I'm happy. :) The stressful part for me is usually cleaning up after, but it's worth it to me. I'm sure little Everly's party will be so darling! I'm excited to see pictures.

Becky Knowles said...

I'm so excited to see what you do for her party. I LOVE to plan parties. I'm all about themes. Boston's first birthday was a superhero party, Kenzie had a garden party (bugs, butterflies, and flowers), and Kai's was a ball party. You've probably seen pics of all of them, but they are all on my blog.

painty (Melinda) said...

First Birthdays are so fun! I'm all about keeping it low key for parties. I once was a perfectionist and worried a lot about decorations, perfect cakes and that kind of thing. Now I try to remind myself that having a calm happy mother is a better gift to small children and guests than having the house look perfect. And having happy memories of the day and not stressful ones. I am very much a less is more person. That's just me though, I tend to get overwhelmed easily. Good luck! I bet it will be awesome!

Charayne said...

Less is more! Kids are easy to please. :)

Holly Strong said...

Don't stress. You will figure things out as you go. We had lots of parties for Tanner but by the time the rest came along we decided to do a dinner (nacho bar) 1st birthday and cake and icecream only 2nd birthday with all family people. After that we just do immediate family stuff except for #8, or a friend party. Now that my kids are getting a bit older and want more friend stuff we will do something fun with 1 or 2 friends, bowling, movie etc. We try to do a friend party around 5 and do friends odd years, family even. You'll do great can't wait to see pictures.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin