Thursday, June 9, 2011

Quiet Book Tutorial: A is for Ark

I'm amazed I never posted instructions for this page.

The good news -- it's easy! And it's a bible related page, which is great because we plan on using this book a lot in church. If you aren't religious you could easily convert this concept into a barn page, which I've seen on other quiet books.


Supplies:
All you need is a background page, felt, one piece of velcro, and puppets.

Directions:
1. Freehand your "ark" on paper (it's not hard even for non-artists...trust me, my stick figures have uneven arms so I speak from experience).
2. Cut out the pieces for the boat, hut on top, and doors the animals will come out -- I cut mine out of brown felt.
3. Cut trim pieces in a darker brown if you want to add definition and interest to your giant brown felt ark.
4. Sew trim onto boat pieces
5. Sew doors onto main boat piece
6. Sew main boat piece and hut to the background page
7. Add flap with velcro to doors
8. Stuff the puppets into the ark (remember 2 of each kind!)

Additional note: I started hand sewing my animals out of felt. Then I found these finger puppets at Ikea. Since I'm making multiple copies of this page (2 copies for other quiet books) it made sense to just buy 2 packs of puppets and save myself some time. And they are soooo cute. And my baby loves them.

Let me know if you have any questions and happy sewing!

5 little remarks:

Kaela said...

Wowzers!! That is a. lot. of. work. And well worth it from the looks of it:)

christinawirch said...

How did you do A is for ark on the page?

christinawirch said...

How did you put a is for ark on the page?

christinawirch said...

How did you do A is for ark on the page?

Anna said...

Christina - I just embroidered it. Found a tutorial online. Definitely not an expert job of it, but it works.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin