Saturday, January 14, 2012

Expecting the best of each other {Charity}

Can I tell you how much I love teaching the women at church? Best. Calling. Ever.

This week's lesson is called "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Great topic.

As I was preparing the lesson I was reminded of a quote (not in the lesson) by Marvin J Ashton. It is one of my very favorite quotes ever. So beautiful.

“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other”
― Marvin J. Ashton
I love that.

Charity is expecting the best of each other.

Of course as I prepared the lesson I thought about a lot of different ways we can serve and love our "neighbors". But probably one of the most profound and kind things we can do for eachother is to love purely. To give one another the benefit of the doubt. To expect the best of each other. After all charity is the pure love of Christ and by loving, accepting, and forgiving in this way we can make a difference. For a lot of people.

Happy Sunday everyone.

2 little remarks:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is a lovely quote, thank you for sharing. I hear you on the calling of RS teacher!! LOVE it!! I have been lucky enough to have that calling , but I'll tell you what, it didn't last nearly long enough. Sigh... I need my teaching fix since I don't teach elementary any more.

painty (Melinda) said...

Love that quote, so true!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin