Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One Goal for 2012

I love lists and goal making. And of course there are many many goals/lists that I have running at any given time (project get out of debt, for example, is going REALLY well. hooray!). But with the rise of the new year there is one overwhelming goal for our little family:

Be healthier.

As in a physically stronger, thinner, crazy vegetable consuming, only occasional sweet indulging, active family. (Oh and for Evie switch that thinner to packing on the pounds).

I've been really inspired to change by this blog and this book. We do okay right now. Not great. And there are some specific target areas we're taking on:

  • Go to the gym 3-5 days per week. I've already become a bit of a gym addict, but a work trip out of town and a stomach bug over the holidays has thrown off my groove. I'm ready to get back.
  • Eat vegetables. Every day. Vegetables should cover half your plate at any given meal...still figuring out how to do that at breakfast. Maybe we'll just do more at lunch and dinner to make it up.
  • Eat less sweets. We have a real sweet tooth at this house. I don't think it's practical for us to say we'll only have dessert once per week. But we could do some serious portion control -- like when the oreos say a serving size is 3 cookies we should just eat 3 cookies and not laugh at the serving suggestion. I'd also like to see our sweets incorporate fruit more as the main portion (hello apple crisp with extra apples!).
  • Active family outings: I really miss the warm weather. As spring comes on I want to do more bike riding, swimming, and park romping. And this year I think we'll also attempt hiking with a 2 year old. Instead of a bike trailer I want to get one of these to put Evie Lou in. I think she will LOVE riding up front with mommy (though she will not sleep like this child pictured, I guarantee it):

I'm so excited for these improvements in our life. I think that's the key to making big changes, mentally being ready. And this year I really really am. 

To help me be successful I'm joining Weight Watchers. I know a lot of people who've used that plan and I love that it really is a common sense way to change your life -- no crazy pills, no extreme food combinations, no quick cures, just an emphasis on portion control and eating lots of fruits and veggies. Average loss on Weight Watchers is about 1-1.5lbs per week. I'm looking forward to being 50 lb thinner a year from now -- which, in case you were wondering - is right in range with what my doctor recommended this year at my checkup. It's a big mountain to climb, but I can do it.

Other big changes in store for our family this year:
  1. Quitting my job -- this has been on the docket for a long time, but I couldn't be public about it on the interwebs until I'd discussed it with my boss. I'm looking forward to a new phase in my life this spring/summer.
  2. Back to school -- I'm applying to graduate school, hooray! Staying here in Utah, but a Masters of Public Policy which means plenty of the statistics and analysis classes I love. And a few scary econ classes too. Most courses are at night which allows me to still be home with the munchkin.
  3. Becoming debt free -- in one year the only debt we might still be working on is an unplanned ER bill and my very small student loan (which will be in deferment anyway due to change 2) and maybe a small amount left on our one car. But no big car loans, no other debt, nothing. And we plan on never going into debt again except for buying our home. After five years of marriage (and an initial debt payoff plan derailed by having our moving van stolen in the first 3 weeks of our marriage) this is a VERY big deal to our family. I might cry tears of joy for weeks, just sayin.
  4. Moving -- we had thought that it would be buying a home this year but my decision to return to school means that its much more practical to move up to campus family housing for two years than add in a long commute from home to campus. So project buy-a-house is being deferred and we're embracing the cinder-block walls and cheap rent of campus housing.
So that's it, 2012 is looking like a very happy new year indeed. How bout you? Big changes, big plans for 2012 or just looking forward to a calm continuation of the awesome life you already lead?

5 little remarks:

Jessie said...

That's a very exciting little list you've got going there. I hope school works out for you this time--you're so brave to go as a mom, but it sounds like a perfect program for you. I'm excited for you. Are you going back to BYU? Do you need a place to live? Our house will be rent-able again this coming summer... just saying. :)

And I wish we were debt free, but by the end of this year, I'm hopeful that we'll be a whole lot closer, too. Good for you guys.

painty (Melinda) said...

Not that you asked for ideas... but I've done the veggies for breakfast thing and with some planning it's actually feasible. Broccoli can go nicely with eggs in a variety of ways, as well as peppers. And smoothies are awesome. You can sneak a whole bunch of spinach and lettuce into a smoothie and hide it with some fruit and yogurt. My kids love green drinks. Just some ideas--made me feel lots healthier when I was adding veggies to breakfast consistently. Speaking of Resolutions, I need to make some too :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

These are awesome goals. I love the way you have set them out. I especially love your overall "health" goal. SO GOOD!! And congrats on going to graduate school - that's wonderful. Good luck with staying home full time as well - it's truly the best, but I know from experience that it is hard to adjust. There isn't a week that goes by in which I don't miss my 5th graders.

Good luck on your 2012 goals!! Wish me the same.

DP said...

Good luck! I've heard the area around campus is very bike-friendly so that will be nice. Does this mean you'll be able to go down to 1 car as well? And are they giving you credit for much of your PhD work?

Diane said...

Anna,
Wonderful goals, fun to hear about! Are you going to school at BYU or the U? So happy for you and excited for you to be debt free :) Happy new year!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin