Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: Settle

I just finished re-reading my 2013 goals. A few were tackled, many were not. Rather than such a long list, this year I wanted to have a theme for my life this year. I saw this, about having "one little word" as your theme for the year and letting decisions/actions flow from that. I brainstormed a lot of words - deliberate, adventure, new, beginning, etc...

But in the end I arrived at one word that fits what I really want for this year. And some of those other words can be tabled for a future year.

So the word I chose was: Settle.

Not as in settling for something, but as in settle down, settle in--be more peaceful and settled.

Basically since Evie was born (and the ensuing sleep craziness) and since I returned to school for my masters degree - our family schedule has been hectic - too hectic. This last semester in particular has been more insane than I ever want my life to be again. These years have been filled with many happy and exciting moments, but we're ready for a change.

I'm ready for our family to settle into a more systematic, less hectic, more peaceful and predictable routine. Evie sleeps now (mostly) and soon my night classes will be over - making a settled routine more possible.

I also like the word settle because, since our marriage in 2007, we have moved 6 times. This next move, into our first home, will be the seventh. We are ready--really ready--to be more settled. We hope that life might allow us to stay settled in this home for a VERY long time.

But I still like goals, so here are the things I have in mind that I want to work on to achieve a more settled life.

Home:
  • Close on the home
  • Move in
  • Unpack everything (or stash storage in basement)
  • Begin planning organizations / systems
  • Hang art and photos
  • Plant a small vegetable garden
  • Plant herbs in pots
  • Plant a tree (or two)
  • Plant raspberry bushes
School/Employment:
  • Finish last semester
  • Graduate
  • Start a new job (meaningful, interesting, with a good schedule and the right location)
  • Get Evie settled at a new school
  • Figure out commute routines (Joe - by bike, me - hopefully by bike/transit)
Physical:
  • Establish more systematic meal planning / shopping routines
  • Fall into a regular exercise schedule again (at least 3 days a week)
  • Make a habit of taking Evie to neighborhood park or on a bike rides most evenings spring/summer
  • Find opportunities to be more active together as a family
Financial:
  • Rebuild savings
  • Pay off the rest of both cars
  • Buy appliances for the new house
  • Make savings plans for future vacations & home renovations
Spiritual/Emotional:
  • Keep teaching at church
  • Write in my journal more often
  • Finish reading "Daring Greatly"
  • Read Sheri Dew's new book "Women and the Priesthood"
  • Read more regularly in general (with school reading out of my life!)
Social:
  • Restart a Book Club with friends
  • Host a house-warming party
  • Host Evie's first "friend" birthday party
  • Meet/greet new neighbors
  • Deliberately schedule girls nights, lunches, and other meetings with friends
In general I want 2014 to be the year we remember as the year we settled in and really began living the rest of our life in the manner we've wanted to for quiet some time. For our family there has been too much limbo, too much change, and we are ready to settle in to living the life we've been dreaming about. Finally buying our first home is really symbolic of that. I know I won't achieve everything, but overall this list seems doable. It makes me happy. And I hope as we begin to accomplish it that my family will feel a calmness, peace and increased happiness enter our home. 

If you chose one word for your theme for 2014 what would it be?

7 little remarks:

Jessie said...

Settle sounds amazing. Sounds like secure, which is my lifelong quest. Somewhat unfortunately for me, I married a huge dreamer, so settling isn't in our near future, as far as I can see, but dreams are good too. :) I've had a word of the year for the last several, but this year focusing on the small things, and also on eliminating extra. I wish us both luck. :)

Jessie said...

Settle sounds amazing. Sounds like secure, which is my lifelong quest. Somewhat unfortunately for me, I married a huge dreamer, so settling isn't in our near future, as far as I can see, but dreams are good too. :) I've had a word of the year for the last several, but this year focusing on the small things, and also on eliminating extra. I wish us both luck. :)

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

So proud of you two . Refer to Harvard study on what makes people happy . . Balance is the key. I think you are in for a wonderful year in 2014. Happy New Year

Brooke said...

I saw the word Settle, and thought I saw Seattle, and started making plans how we would hook up in Seattle! But I guess two years in a row with the Bergevins coming to us, is more like a dream than reality. :) But your goals sound AWESOME! And I love the word settle. Here's to 2014 being your best year yet!!!! So sad to miss your girls nights and book clubs, but we're excited to visit you in Daybreak sometime soon!

Emily S said...

Sounds awesome. Will be so nice for school and house to be done. My goal for this year word is ICU-free. :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

I love the idea of using a word for the theme of your year. My last year wasn't so hot... it was a hard year for me and I accomplished very few of the goals I set. I still love making goals and seeing what other goals people make.

Tiff Keetch said...

Thanks for this post, Anna. I love your word and I does seem to fit perfectly for you and your family this year. Your post reminded me to pick a word for this year. I chose Focus. (and I blogged about it here)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin